Tuesday 15 May 2012

SS12 trends | Of pants and knits



Hello everyone! How long does it normally take you to get over jet lag?

I came back from the West Coast on Monday last week. I spent eight days of back-to-back presentations, meetings, and social networking activities in san Francisco. I accomplished a lot professionally, but also on a personal level. In my field, there are only a few conferences a year so I loved the opportunity to see old friends and colleagues. Plus, I got to do some shopping!

In my view, the US is the best place to shop. In Europe, shopping is more glamorous but is almost completely centered around European designers. American designers, whom I love, are increasingly represented and much in fashion there, but buying their creations is quite expensive. The opposite, however, is not generally true, and after the beginning of the economic crisis the prices of European designers in the US are equivalent to those one can find in Europe. Canada is a totally different story: options are more limited (at least in Montreal), and prices much higher due to VAT.

I went on a short shopping outing in San Francisco to look for two things: a pair of patterned pants, and a light sweater -- the latter to best cope with the weather, which was chillier than I had expected. Along with colorful pants (as I mentioned in an earlier post), patterned pants are a key item for SS12. Think polka dots, stripes, flowers, and everything else in between. This is one of those trends I love, in theory. I mean, who would not want to rock the flower pants as well as Olivia Palermo does in this picture by Garance Doré? I do not think I can (although net-a-porter has good suggestions), but fortunately J Brand comes to the rescue with this houndstooth-printed skinny pants (image via Shopbop). They are mid-waist and cropped -- the trendiest length for SS12. Voila.



As far as knits go, I find their styles a bit difficult for me this season. There is a lot of cropped, sheer or both. Throw in oversized styles (as this one by Acne, which Style Heroine correctly labels the accidental dress) and super-expensive statement knits (like those by Jil Sander, which  complement the brand's offer for FW11) for good measure as well. I thus decided to save some money and stick with my neutral T by Alexander Wang cardi, the best cotton cardi I have ever own (styles are still available at the Outnet, if you are interested).



How about you? Would you wear floral pants and sheer sweaters? I'd love to hear.

P.S. This is the fifth post of our SS12 trends issue. Earlier posts:
  1. The mint, the pastel and the neon
  2. The Cinderella syndrom
  3. Beware of the pyjama pants
  4. Mini love
I have one more post coming up in this series, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...